SMILE - Living with Diabetes
Dr Elmari Deacon
Partner 1: Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology - Prof.. Segal
Partner 2: North-West University Potchefstroom - Prof. E. van Rensburg
The SMILE – living with diabetes project aims to investigate the psycho-social variables influencing adjusting to diabetes management in adolescents and young adults. As diabetes is a growing problem worldwide, with severe adverse effects on health and wellbeing, we strive to use information gathered to develop appropriate interventions for all living with diabetes in order to facilitate optimal psychological wellbeing through life.
Through both qualitative and quantitative methods we hope to answer the following questions:
- How does diabetes management affect the lives of those living with diabetes?
- What role does illness perception of diabetes play in the management of diabetes?
- What role does making meaning of living with diabetes play in the management of diabetes?
- What role does social support play in the management of diabetes?
- What role does diabetes management play in the psychological wellbeing of those living with diabetes?
Dr David Segal
Paediatric Endocrine and Diabetes Specialists
Your partner in diabetes
Information about diabetes
Living with diabetes